Passionate people growing through prayer, practice and play.
The Lemont Methodist Church in Lemont, Illinois was officially formed. The small congregation had been meeting informally in a station house near the I&M canal since 1853. The church was founded by many of the prominent families who settled in Lemont. Some of the great founder names who belonged to the Methodist Church were Bell, Brown, Derby, Friedley, Kettering, Singer, Tedens, and Walker. These families helped build the church and the community of Lemont.
November 21, 1861
The Old Stone Church was built. It is the first church in the village to be built with native limestone.Click Here for more history of LUMC.
October 17, 2010
Our Church's 150th anniversary was celebrated October 17, 2010 with a morning worship with a full sanctuary. The Children's choir performed a few songs, followed by the youth group giving a skit of the church history in rapid succession. A proclamation from the village was presented and read to the congregation. Following the service, a lunch was held in the basement fellowship hall with a catered dinner and waiters provided by the boy scouts that meet at the church. Past pastors gave short speeches and best wishes for the future. In attendance were the Dicksons from Florida (1956-60), Rev. Leo and wife (1965-77), and Pastor Susan Jacques with her parents (1999-2002). After the dinner, we went back to the sanctuary for desserts and a slide show of our history.
Then a music group, the Mad Monks of Melody entertained us with
Finally, a new banner of celebration was hoisted up to hang in the back of the sanctuary and we began to go home about 3 p.m. So it was a full day of activity and enjoyment of fellowship.
Here is a description of the event from Pastor Anne's perspective.
The Old Stone Church celebrated it's 150th anniversary. It is the home of the Lemont Area Historical Society. The old church was deeded to the historical society to prevent it from being torn down.
Information supplied by Richard H. Lee, church historian.